Saturday, May 18, 2019
at 11:59 p.m.
To join the Nova Scotia Youth Wind Ensemble, you must do three things:
1 – Register on the NSYWE website.
If you were a member of NSYWE in 2018-2019, you do not need to register on the website; your membership is carried over.
Otherwise, go to the Website Registration Page. After you submit the form, you will receive an e-mail noting that your application has been received and a second e-mail after your registration has been approved or declined.
For security reasons, a website registration request will not be approved until after an NSYWE application is received and the e-mail addresses must match.
2 – Online Application Form
Complete the online application form. No need to e-mail it; just submit your application online.
3 – Record and Submit Your Audition
There are three elements of your playing audition:
• A musical excerpt of your choosing, up to one minute long
• Required excerpts
- Audition – Flute and Oboe
- Audition – Clarinet
- Audition – Bass Clarinet
- Audition – Bassoon
Audition – French Horn
- Audition – Alto Saxophone
- Audition – Tenor Saxophone
- Audition – Baritone Saxophone
- Audition – Trumpet
- Audition – Trombone
- Audition – Euphonium
- Audition – Tuba
- Audition – Percussion
Please record an audio file (.mp3) or video file (.mp4). You can make a recording file for each element or combine them all in one file. If you combine them into one file, it may be too large to send by e-mail.
Name your file(s) as follows: Instrument-Name-Part Recorded. For example, if you send scales, a solo, and the required excerpts in one file, your attachment might read: FluteSmithAll.mp4. If you send each part as separate files, your attachment could be named: TromboneTomJonesScales.mp4.
Do not put spaces in your instrument name (i.e., use FrenchHorn not French Horn) or your name (i.e., JoanSmith). Use first and last names because sometimes more than one person with the same last name applies to the ensemble.
If the file is too large to attach to an e-mail, upload it to YouTube as a private file and include the link when you e-mail your completed NSYWE application form. You will need a free Google account (www.google.com). Instructions for uploading a private YouTube video are at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klVWGHtRTuE.
Your audition will only be considered after you have:
• Registered at the NSYWE website
• Completed your NSYWE application form
• E-mailed your audition file(s) or YouTube links to NSYWE
Frequently Asked Questions
I submitted my application, now what happens?
Senior members of the Nova Scotia Youth Wind Ensemble team will begin reviewing the auditions in early June; applicants should have an answer by the end of June.
Your status will be one of three options:
- Accepted. That’s it, you’re in!
- Probationary. If your audition fell a little short of the others, you may be accepted on a probationary basis. You will be invited to attend Boot Camp weekend in September and to play with the band. The NSYWE team will monitor your progress and how you work with the band members. By the end of the weekend, you will be advised whether you have been accepted as a full member of the NSYWE.
- Declined. Sometimes, there are just too many applicants for a limited number of positions. In a situation like this, we accept the best players for the ensemble. You will be advised what you need to work on to improve, and you will be encouraged to re-apply for a position with NSYWE next year.
If you have any questions about the application form, the audition process or the NSYWE, please e-mail Hope Gendron.