Auditions Are Being Accepted
until May 31, 2020
To join the Nova Scotia Youth Wind Ensemble, you must do three things:
1 – Submit an Online Application Form
Complete the online application form, even if you were an NSYWE member in the past. No need to e-mail it; just submit your application online.
2 – Register on the NSYWE website.
Because of the numerous spam/bogus applications received, we are closing website registration. Instead, after your online application is received, you will receive an e-mail from NSYWE with your website registration details, including a temporary password.
If you were a member of NSYWE in 2019-20, you do not need to register on the website but you must still audition.
3 – Record and Submit Your Audition
There are three elements of your playing audition:
• A musical excerpt of your choosing, up to one minute long
• Required excerpts (click on your instrument…)
- Audition – Flute
- Audition – Oboe
- Audition – Clarinet
- Audition – Bass Clarinet
- Audition – Bassoon
- Audition – French Horn
- Audition – Alto Saxophone
- Audition – Tenor Saxophone
- Audition – Baritone Saxophone
- Audition – Trumpet
- Audition – Trombone
- Audition – Euphonium
- Audition – Tuba
- Audition – Percussion
Please record an audio file (.mp3) or video file (.mp4). You can make a recording file for each element or combine them all in one file. If you combine them into one file, it may be too large to send by e-mail.
Name your file(s) as follows: Instrument-Name-Part Recorded. For example, if you send scales, a solo, and the required excerpts in one file, your attachment might read: FluteSmithAll.mp4. If you send each part as separate files, your attachment could be named: TromboneTomJonesScales.mp4.
Do not put spaces in your instrument name (i.e., use FrenchHorn not French Horn) or your name (i.e., JoanSmith). Use first and last names because sometimes more than one person with the same last name applies to the ensemble.
If the file is too large to attach to an e-mail, upload it to YouTube as a private file and include the link when you e-mail your completed NSYWE application form. You will need a free Google account (www.google.com). Instructions for uploading a private YouTube video are at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klVWGHtRTuE.
Your audition will only be considered after you have:
• Registered at the NSYWE website
• Completed your NSYWE application form
• E-mailed your audition file(s) or YouTube links to NSYWE
Frequently Asked Questions
I submitted my application, now what happens?
Senior members of the Nova Scotia Youth Wind Ensemble team will begin reviewing the auditions in early June; applicants should have an answer by the end of June.
Your status will be one of three options:
- Accepted. That’s it, you’re in! Your registration fee is due by the end of our first rehearsal weekend.
- Probationary. If your audition fell a little short of the others, you may be accepted on a probationary basis. You will be invited to attend Boot Camp weekend in September and to play with the band. The NSYWE team will monitor your progress and how you work with the band members. By the end of the weekend, you will be advised whether you have been accepted as a full member of the NSYWE.
- Declined. Sometimes, there are just too many applicants for a limited number of positions. In a situation like this, we accept the best players for the ensemble. You will be advised what you need to work on to improve, and you will be encouraged to re-apply for a position with NSYWE next year.
If you have any questions about the application form, the audition process or the NSYWE, please e-mail Hope Gendron.