NSYWE applications and auditions are accepted in the spring. To join the Nova Scotia Youth Wind Ensemble, you must do two things:
- Complete the application form, and
- Submit a recorded audition. Auditions received after the deadline may be considered but preference will be given to auditions received on time, before the deadline.
- After you submit the application form, you should register on this website. The e-mail address you use to register must match the e-mail address on the application form, or the e-mail address of a parent/guardian provided on the application form.
We know auditioning for NSYWE can be intimidating, especially the first time. As a result, we currently accept recorded auditions which can be recorded in the comfort of your own home or classroom, with or without technical help from your friends, parents or teacher.
It’s a two-step process:
First, complete the application form and include it with your audition recording.
Follow the recording, naming and file submission instructions at the top of your audition music, below.
- 1 nsywe Flute Audition 2018
- 2 nsywe oboe Audition Protocol 2018
- 3 nsywe clarinet Audition 2018
- 4 nsywe bass clarinet 2018
- 5 nsywe bassoon 2018
- 6 nsywe alto sax 2018
- 7 nsywe tenor sax 2018
- 8 nsywe bari sax 2018
- 9 nsywe trumpet 2018
- 10 nsywe French horn 2018
- 11 nsywe ten & bass trombone 2018
- 12 nsywe euphonium 2018
- 13 nsywe tuba & Bass Audition Protocol 2018
- 14 nsywe percussion 2018
I submitted my application, now what happens?
Senior members of the Nova Scotia Youth Wind Ensemble team will begin reviewing the auditions in early June; applicants should have an answer by the end of June.
Your status will be one of three options:
Accepted. That’s it, you’re in!
Probationary. If your audition fell a little short of the others, you may be accepted on a probationary basis. You will be invited to attend Boot Camp weekend in September and to play with the band. The NSYWE team will monitor your progress and how you work with the band members. By the end of the weekend, you will be advised whether you have been accepted as a full member of the NSYWE.
Declined. Sometimes, there are just too many applicants for a limited number of positions. In a situation like this, we accept the best players for the ensemble. You will be advised what you need to work on to improve, and you will be encouraged to re-apply for a position with NSYWE next year.
If you have any questions about the application form, the audition process or the NSYWE, please e-mail Hope Gendron.